The Custom Pointers Plugin for WordPress introduces an administrative interface that allows users to create a “Collection” of custom “Pointers” quickly and easily in an organized fashion.
Fundamentally, it’s a way to allow Administrative Users the ability to create interactive tutorials for their variety of purposes.
This is built atop the “Feature Pointers” feature that was introduced in WordPress 3.3.
Note: Currently, Pointers can only be created for the back end of WordPress. Front end support is planned though!
Administrative Back End Features
- Creating Without Coding – Without writing any code administrators can create Pointers to form an interactive tutorial for their users.
- Auto Detection – By, simply, hovering over elements on the back end of WordPress administrators are prompted with an editable Pointer which they can populate and connect to other Pointers to form a greater interactive tutorial.
- Grouping – Administrators can easily group these Pointers into a Collection so you can create multiple tutorials on a single page, and still across multiple pages, to train users on multiple aspects of WordPress including installed Plugins & Themes.
- Quick Re-Organize – The ability to easily re-organize the Pointers via a drag-n-drop interface. In the Free version users cannot re-order them Coming to the Premium Version
- Visual Editor – (WYSIWYG) Is added to the content box, which also includes the ability to upload media. In the Free version there is no visual editor and HTML is not rendered Coming to the Premium Version
- Quick Delete Pointer – The ability to delete Pointers from the Auto interface. In the Free version they must be deleted from the Pointers page Coming to the Premium Version
- Import/Export – Administrators can import and export Collections. Coming to the Premium Version
End User Back End Features
- Auto Start – End users are automatically prompted with the Pointers upon entering the corresponding section.
- Navigation – End users can navigate forward and backward through a Collection of Pointers. Available in the Premium Version.
- Restart – End users can restart tutorials from the contextual Help menu. In the Free version end users cannot restart a tutorial once it’s been completed Available in the Premium Version.
Front End Features
Planned for a future release TBA.
Support & Feedback
Do you need support or have feedback such as feature requests? Visit the support page.
Are you curious to know our plans for future development of the plugin? Subscribe to the Blog for this plugin and as we periodically update our roadmap you can review it and even comment to post your ideas.